Re: Securing isqlplus

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:57:32 -0700

Chuck wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in
>
> > Chuck wrote:
> >
> >> I'm looking to encrypt network traffic to/from my isqlplus web
> >> server. I don't want to go through the hassle of getting a
> >> certificate from a CA. I just want to encrypt the session similar to
> >> ssh mainly so that passwords are not transmitted in plain text.
> >>
> >> Can anyone tell me how do to this or point me to the documentation
> >> for it?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> > What makes you think iSQL*Plus sends unencrypted passwords anywhere?
> > --
> > Daniel Morgan
> > http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> > damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> > (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
> >

> From the isqlplus help file at :
>
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_
> 01/server.920/a90842/ch10.htm#1006169
>
> "In iSQL*Plus, security for the connection between the web browser and
> the Oracle HTTP Server is provided by standard HTTPS, which is fully
> supported by Oracle. It enables secure listener connections with an
> Oracle-provided encryption mechanism via the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
> It can be implemented when installing the Oracle HTTP Server by
> installing the mod_ssl module. For detailed information about
> implementing HTTPS security in Oracle, see the Oracle Advanced Security
> Administrator's Guide."
>
> If I'm reading this right, you need to configure https to get any
> encryption between the browser and the http server.

You read correctly but interpret incorrectly.

All iSQL*Plus connections are secure. Oracle does not expose passwords except for one type of database link.

If you have specific questions I would suggest that you address them to: alison.holloway_at_oracle.com

There is no more qualified person on the planet when it comes to iSQL*Plus.

--
Daniel Morgan