newbie question - init.ora vs. alter database

From: Greg <ghorie_at_sfu.ca>
Date: 16 May 2003 09:55:45 -0700

Hi,

I was performing an ALTER DATABASE ARCHIVELOG on my Oracle DB and I was wondering if its necessary for me to include the following parameters in the init.ora file as well:

log_archive_start = true
log_archive_dest_1 = "location=/opt/oracle/arch"
log_archive_format = arch_%t_%S.log

From what I understand, the ALTER statement needs to be performed in any case, but I'm not sure whether these init.ora configurations are mandatory as well (or if there is just a way to perform these steps while the database is open).

Sorry, but I'm a little confused on the relationship between the DB, the init file and the control files. If anyone has a decent link to explain the relationship between these things, this might help me out.

Thx. Received on Fri May 16 2003 - 11:55:45 CDT