Re: Rich Niemiec live at ODTUG!

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 17:37:34 +0100

I know I started this by poking fun at TUSC's hilarious marketing flannel - but can I point out the importance of remembering that
individuals and companies are not the same.

I read some of Mike Ault's 8i Administration when it came out in 2000 - it wasn't exciting or about to push current DBAs to new levels of achievement, but it was sensible, solid and a good effort.

I've read some bits of Rob Freeman's
9i New Features - and it's one of the better books to come out of Oracle Press. Sensible, doesn't go for hype, and takes some concepts and adds value by making concrete suggestions.

And as Nuno pointed out, the Oracle 8 Reference by Kevin Loney is a pretty adequate reference for many people. (Although I always have to laugh about the word 'complete' - how do you do a complete reference in 1,000 pages of a set of manuals that covers 20,000 pages and still make it meaningful ?)

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____Denmark__May 21-23rd
____Sweden___June
____Finland__September
____Norway___September
Three-day seminar: see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____UK_(Manchester)_May x 2
____Estonia___June 4th - 6th
____Australia_June 18th - 20th (Perth)
____Australia_June 23rd - 25th (t.b.a)
____USA_(CA, TX)_August
The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html "Carlos A" <carlaus2002_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ba2vre$p5r$1_at_online.de... > LOL! Very well said. > > I haven't touched any of the books from the TUSC > mob since Jonathan's book's been out. > > That lot has spouted a lot of wind and little substance. >