Re: Oracle doesn't shutdown

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 09:33:00 +1000

"Chr2k04" <chr2k4_at_aol.com> wrote in message news:bf58ec5f.0305151521.3fd0f172_at_posting.google.com...
> Hey,
>
> After a recent power-outage where my computer uncleanly shut
> down,oracle starts up but doesnt shut down.
>
> I have Linux Mandrake9.1, Oracle 9i, and I use sqlplus /nolog and
> connect as a sysdba to shut it down, with 'shut'.
>
> Am I going to have to reinstall the database?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Mandrake and Oracle are not a certified combination, so you can expect fireworks from time to time.

But that said, no... you shouldn't have to re-install the entire thing, or even re-create the entire database.

What happens when you do things like type 'shutdown abort'? What, if any, errors are contained in your alert log?

As a general rule, I'd avoid using abbreviated forms of commands, and type them in, in full, properly. That way *you* are in control, and not the application you're using at the time.

As it is, the SQL Plus command 'shut' gets translated into the SQL command 'shutdown normal', and the salient characteristic of a shutdown normal is that it waits until all active sessions have logged themselves out of the database before attempting to proceed, and certainly makes no attempt to speed up the logout process by killing sessions off preemptively. If you've just started up your database after a power failure, it is quite possible that SMON is in the middle of an instance recovery when you ask to do a shutdown normal... and in that case, the shutdown will have to wait until SMON has finished its work. Depending on the size of the recovery being performed, that could be quite some time.

Whether that's the issue, or whether something more serious is going on (unlikely) really can only be discovered by consulting your alert log.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu May 15 2003 - 18:33:00 CDT