Re: Does Oracle charge extra for the parallel query option?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 06:11:39 +1000

"Telemachus" <telemachus_at_ulysseswillreturn.net> wrote in message news:h5owa.13251$pK2.18252_at_news.indigo.ie...
> If you have Partitioning =>you have Enterprise => you have PQ
>

> [am I right ? ]

Not necessarily!

In general, having the Enterprise Edition doesn't mean you have Partitioning, because that has to be separately licensed. (You can't have Partitioning with*out* Enterprise Edition, though, so your statement above is entirely true for the first part).

So if you have Enterprise Edition, it doesn't automatically follow that PQ is included in that... you might need to license it separately, too.

The only way to answer that for sure is to visit http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracle9i/pdf/o9i_family_features.pdf

(There may be a more recent version, but this was all I could find in the 10 seconds I allowed myself!).

That document has a table, which does indeed indicate that Parallel Query is an inherent feature in Enterprise Edition, and not a separately chargeable options (but Parallel DML only comes when you have already shelled out the dosh for the Partitioning Option).

Regards
HJR