Re: Database Refresh

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 06:24:25 +1000

"rbakare" <rbakare_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8794fcd.0305140428.3d0e5684_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Oracle 8i production database that is 300 GB in size. My
> development environment is quite small. I cannot refresh the
> Development database with the production one due to space and data
> sensitivity constraints.
>
> 1. How can I get a consistant "subset" of Production database and
> refresh the development schema ?
> 2. How can I maintain the refrential integrity ?
>
> Please advise ASAP.

Have a look at DBMS_STATS. In particular, read up on how you can use the procedures such as 'gather_database_stats' to populate a stats table (which you create using dbms_stats.create_stat_table). If you can get your production statistics into such a table, you can use traditional export and import to pull it into your development system, and there use dbms_stats.import_database_stats to transfer them out of the table into the data dictionary, where the optimizer will make use of them.

What all that means is that your development database can behave, from the optimizer point of view, as though it contains 30GB of data without it actually containing any data at all, or just a very few rows of sample data.

That doesn't resolve your referential integrity issue, of course, but then I don't see how you could do that without literally having every row from all your parent tables imported.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed May 14 2003 - 15:24:25 CDT