Re: Options for Deploying Forms in 9iAS

From: Daniel Traistaru <tdaniel_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 05:37:42 GMT

I have seen one setup with ~100 concurrent users over thousands ( :-) ) of miles , using web based Forms 6i ( 9iAS Release 1).

    Client Wyse terminal --[WAN]-->Citrix farm with Jinitiator-->[LAN]--> Forms 9iAS --[LAN]--> Database

Web forms crashes and Citrix session disconnects may leave some sessions holding locks so the timeouts should be fairly low ( 30 minutes ) and in sync between the two.
Another issue to pay attention in Citrix is to cap the maximum memory allocated for Jinitiator to a decent (lower) value.

Citrix helps if you cannot easily control your clients by ensuring a uniform and central place for the software environment. With PC based access you have to deploy the Jinitiator to all clients to be sure they have the same version.
Some clients may not have Admin access to get the jinitiator automatically installed when accessing the 9iAS site first time.

The choice of Citrix vs. Jinitiator depends a lot on your particular WAN and application traffic.

From the Forms 6i apps I saw I would rank it like this :

  1. PC with Jinitiator --[WAN]--> Forms 9iAS --[LAN]--> Database faster than
  2. PC with Jinitiator --[LAN]--> Forms 9iAS --[WAN]--> Database

and

  1. PC with Jinitiator --[WAN]--> Forms 9iAS --[LAN]--> Database somehow faster than
  2. Wyse terminal --[WAN]-->Citrix farm with Jinitiator-->[LAN]--> Forms app server --[LAN]--> Database

One 24x7 Forms 6i application uses load balancing and failover between 2 9iAS Release 1 hosts and the 9i db has a remote standby. A new application I am setting up uses IP load balancer, multiple 9iAS Release 2 ( forms 9i) and 9i RAC plus remote standby for both DB and 9iAS. Using a fat client inside a good Citrix farm would achieve high availability, however I find it much easier and more fun to manage dedicated 9iAS hosts.
Forms 9i don't have a fat client anymore.

Forms 6i are really sensitive to network timeouts and crash in protest. I did not see yet how Forms 9i react to a WAN , however in the LAN they seem to be faster than similar 6i forms.

I hope this helps,

Daniel T.