Re: ORA-3114: not connected to ORACLE on DB creation

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 21:59:35 -0700

Matt Darcy wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in
> message news:3EBC0E42.97BC976_at_exxesolutions.com...Matt Darcy
> wrote:
>

> > "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
> > wrote in message
> > Darcy wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all, I am trying to install Oracle 8.1.7 on
> > > HPUX11 All goes well until I get to the
> > > database creation section of the install, where
> > > I get a
> > >
> > > ORA-3114: not connected to ORACLE error
> > >

> > > The problem is there kernel paramters are
> > > solaris only, what is the HPUX version of these
> > > parameters, or is there a different fix for
> > > HPUX.
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > > Matt
> >

> > Kernel parameters in HP/UX are set in SAM.
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Morgan
> > http://www.ou
> > reach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> >
> > damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> > (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
> >

> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > Thanks for the post, however I know how to set
> > the parameters in Both Solaris and HPUX however
> > the parameters
> >
> > seminfo_semmsl=100
> >
> > seminfo_semmns=200
> >
> > are not valid within hpux.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Matt
> >

> Go to http://docs.oracle.com and get a copy of the
> installation manual if you can't find it on the CD.
>
> All of the pre-installation steps are detailed.
>
> And those that follow them succeed.
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.ou
> reach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
>

> Hi Again Daniel,
>
> Thanks for the replay again,
>
> you are missing the point a little. If you read the metalink
> post there is actually a bug with the solaris install
> parameters in the docs, I am guessing it is the same with
> HPUX as I have set the kernel parameters suggested within
> the install docs.
>
> Hence why I am asking what the HPUX equivalent of
>
> seminfo_semmsl=100
>
> seminfo_semmns=200
>
> is
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt.

I have a Sun Ultra and I have an HP 9000 and I have never had any problem after following Oracle's documentation. And that holds with 8.1.7 and 9.2.

So based on my experience with these machines as well as at client sites with hundreds of Oracle servers my conclusion is that Oracle documentation is correct and that if it is not working for you you are either not following it or have not applied the requisite O/S patches.

--
Daniel Morgan