Re: ORA-3114: not connected to ORACLE on DB creation

From: JustAnotherDBA <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 16:48:55 -0500

As others have said , most likely pre-install stuff not done.

But, there is also a thorough note in Metalink on 3114 on the server for less likely (I think) stuff. For example, the shared memory or semaphores may not be getting "freed up" from previous "tries at install" or if there is an existing db you thought was completely shutdown (but still has shared memory and/or semaphores in use).

--

  "Matt Darcy" <matt_at_darcy.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:b9gr2g$dns$1_at_hercules.btinternet.com...
  Hi all,

  I am trying to install Oracle 8.1.7 on HPUX11

  All goes well until I get to the database creation section of the install, where I get a
  ORA-3114: not connected to ORACLE  error

  I have searched through metalink and found this article which is the same as my problem but on Solaris.

  Problem Description

  -------------------

  During a new installation of 8.1.7, while Oracle Database Configuration

  Assistant was running, in the Initializing database stage, about 82% complete,

  you receive the following error:

     ORA-3114: not connected to ORACLE

  Even running DBASSIST standalone after exiting the Installer, you still get the

  same error at the same point.

  Solution Description

  --------------------

  Increase the value of the kernel parameters semmsl and semmns to

  allow for an additional 150 processes.

  Explanation

  The Solaris installation guide says to use the following kernel parameters:

    set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=100

    set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200

  The default database created by dbassist has a processes parameter of 150.

  You can recalculate your semaphores to allow for 150 processes or if this

  is the only instance the following /etc/system lines would be correct:

    set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=160

    set semsys:seminfo_semmns=310