Re: Updating SYS.TS$ to help with transportable tablespace

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 16:04:02 GMT

Ryan Gaffuri wrote:

> Asked this on ORACLE-L also, but its not a 100% mix between people who
> frequent each and this is an question for me.
>
> BTW, someone on ORACLE-L got rather upset and told me to get my resume
> ready. Dont need that. Not my idea. Not my implementation. Just asking
> about it.

Typical reaction ... there are sooooo many taboos.

Basically Oracle has made it very, very clear that if you do stuff directly to the SYS owned tablespaces, you are totally on your own (expection - that which is documented by them). It's too damned easy to break the system. In addition, should you do an upgrade, you need to be very careful about your testing strategy.

> ----------------
>
> My Question:
>
> We are doing this to make our transportable tablespace process
> simpler.
> We import the transported tablespace. Drop the old one. Rename the new
> one.
>
> Anyone else do this? Any pitfuls other than the shock and awe of us
> touching TS$? I know its not supported.
>
> For those of you who hate this idea, they've been doing it since
> before
> I got here. Just looking for outside opinions on this.

Based on the other thread where you describe the scrubbing process from the source database ... you are doing very similar ops as I have frequently designed/implemented . Fundementally no issue.

However, why aren't you creating the appropriate tablespace there under programmatic control? Several ways to accomplish this ... my preferred is to create the 'transportable table in the approprriately named transportable tablespace' under program control. Once created, insert into the transportable table from the cleansed one, then trunc the source table at the same time as transporting the tablespace. Received on Sat May 10 2003 - 11:04:02 CDT