Re: Q: What exaclty is this shared library?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 16:16:16 GMT

Vince Laurent wrote:

> We have a shared library called dboraslib.sl on our HPUX11i system
> (Oracle 8.1.7.4). Is this like a DLL in that it is shared code? What
> exactlty does it do or allow me to do? Is the library tied to the
> version of Oracle?
>
> Thanks!
> Vince

Yup. Unix stole the idea of DLLs from Microsoft (roughly mid-70's IIRC) and renamed them as SO and SL ... so you get files ending in .so and .sl While they were at it, the unix folk removed a lot of funtionality such as the ability to overwrite, igmore ACLs, etc.

Seriously, it is shared code similar in concept to DLLs (AFAIK that is where MS retrieved the idea of DLL).

You don't mention the directory. Oracle is usually very, very careful to put all it's code under $ORACLE_HOME ... /bin, /lib, /{product}/lib so if it's not there, you probably have a 3rd party app, or non-authorized placement, that installed the file.

I don't recognize the file name myself, but a quick google indicates it might be part of SAP's 4.5B patch

The whole reason for $ORACLE_HOME is to ensure that the version-related files are kept independantly without clobbering each other. In some cases this means duplication of files, but in general the files are totally tied to version. Received on Sat May 10 2003 - 11:16:16 CDT