Re: good sources for tuning info

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 21:20:27 +1000

"Greg Teets" <gteets_at_cinci.rr.com> wrote in message news:r97jbvooesqkhvtto0jt96lvet4941t8bt_at_4ax.com...
> On Wed, 07 May 2003 21:39:27 GMT, "Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote:
>
> >I have Performance Tuning 101 and Guy Harrisons High Performance Tuning.
> >read the Niemic book which I know is unpopular.
> >

> Why is it unpolular? I thought it was pretty good.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Greg,

I met Richard Niemiec a number of years ago and he's a very nice bloke. And anyone that can write a book deserves some credit, it's not a particularly easy thing to do.

Unfortunately though, his Performance Tuning book is a real shocker of legendary proportions and I occasionally open it for light entertainment.

P109, fixing fragmentation "Generally speaking, fragmentation decreases performance by 10-20 percent on average ...".

A few lines down, "It's recommended that you regularly monitor your database to find tables/indexes fragmented into more than 5 pieces (or extents)".

In the next page, it then goes on how a table should have an initial extent size to be the size of the current table, plus some for growth....

This is in a book that claims to cover 8i ...

It was wrong then, it's wrong now and it's just a sample of one of many many awful myth generating claims that litter's the book.

Basically, that's why it's so unpopular ....

Regards

Richard Received on Thu May 08 2003 - 06:20:27 CDT