Re: IBM Debunks Oracle's MultiVersion Read Consistency ?

From: Jeremy Rickard <jrickard_at_unisystems.biz>
Date: 7 May 2003 14:36:14 -0700

wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Nuno Souto) wrote in message news:<73e20c6c.0305062059.d0f18dd_at_posting.google.com>...

> IOW, the same code for the same OS is portable to that OS.
> Brilliant piece of semantics...

As I said, the code base is shared on Windows, Linux and UNIX flavours - where the competition is most direct.

> I think the "inroads" are in IBM marketing imaginations...
> Buying off Informix accounts and adding them to total accounts
> as if they were DB2 is not exactly precise statistics, no?

Gartner split out the figures to avoid that skew. DB2 grabbed a further 1.4% last year to draw neck-and-neck with Oracle, which lost 2.1%. IDC figures show Oracle with a higher share, but still show DB2 and SQL Server rapidly gaining at its expense.

> > Wall Street. Better it seems to keep the high prices and attempt to
> > slow loss of market share by smearing the opposition.
>
> Oh, is that ANY different from what IBM does?

Yes, undeniably cheaper licensing and IMO far less smearing.

> PS: don't bother commenting on my "future career", OK?

Was anyone likely to?

JR Received on Wed May 07 2003 - 16:36:14 CDT