Re: IP address change

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 15:11:28 -0500

On Wed, 07 May 2003 13:31:50 -0400, "Song Zhang" <sozst1_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>System configuration: Sun Enterprise 450 with Solaris 7 connected to the
>network.
>Oracle Database Release: 8.1.6
>
>My machine address has changed from A to B. What should I do to my Database
>in order to provide service to clients? (I hope I don't need to reinstall
>the database)
>
>Thanks.

You don't need to do anything to your database and you don't need to re-install anything.

Take a look at your LISTENER.ORA file. If the old IP address is found there, change it to the new address. Better yet, change it to the machine name. Restart the listener.

How are your clients resolveing connection requests? TNSNAMES? IF so, look in the TNSNAMES.ORA file. If the old IP address is found there, change it to the new address. Better yet, change it to the machine name. If every user has their own TNSNAMES file, good luck!

If you use some other method of resolving connection requests (ONAMES, etc.) I can't say, as I have no experience with them, but the two previous paragraphs should make clear the principles.

And now you know the evil of hard-coded IP addresses. Received on Wed May 07 2003 - 15:11:28 CDT