Re: Can the listener forward connect request to another server

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 11:25:05 -0400

On Mon, 05 May 2003 17:01:47 +0200, rherbst wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> imagine the following situation:
> I have an Oracle instance foo1 on server bar1.
> Now I want to migrate the DB to server bar2. But I have a large
> amount of clients working with this DB and I am not able to
> correct the tnsnames.ora on all clients within a reasonable
> time.
>
> Can I configure the LISTENER on server bar1 to redirect/forward
> connection requests to the new instance on server bar2? Or have you
> any other suggestions how to solve the problem?
>
> Regards!
> Rainer
>
> P.S. Oracle 8.1.7 on both servers, TCP network

I don't believe that can be done. The best solution is to address the real problem - stop using TNSNAMES.ORA on multiple clients. Either move it to a shared directory on a file server and point all users to that directory, switch to Oracle Names, or better yet switch to LDAP. Then you have administration point. I know this is probably not what you want to hear and I hope someone else can offer you an easier solution, but better planning for the outset would have prevented this situation. TNSNAMES.ORA is the easiest way to set things up, but it's probably the worst way too.

If bar1 is going away altogther you could set up a bar1 DNS alias that points to bar2, but that doesn't sound like the situation.

If your users are smart enough, and if the tnsnames.ora files are generic enough, you might be able to email a new copy of the file to them and have them detach it into the correct directory. If they are that smart though, I think I'd just email them a new sqlnet.ora file that configures them to use Onames or ldap and set up a corresponding server to do database address resolution. Received on Mon May 05 2003 - 10:25:05 CDT