Re: Oracle Locking Up

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 01 May 2003 01:46:24 GMT

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote:

> The problem is sporadic. When it locks up Oracle can be shut down with
> another SQL*Plus session / as sysdba and shutdown immediate. Then it may
> happen again hours later. Same goes for rebooting the machine. It will
> happen again but hours later.
>
> And what is strange is that it never seems to interfere with a SQL
> statement that is executing. The statement will finish, commit but never
> return to the SQL> prompt.

So, what happens if you forcibly kill the SQL*PLUS client from the task manager, does that free up the server again without having to bounce it?

My expience with the SQL*PLUS windows client was that it was a piece of crap, and froze up (spinning hard) at the drop of a hat. Since I'm almost always on the network, I've started just telnetting out to a linux machine, and using the linux command line SQL*PLUS to connect back into the server. But before I learned to do that, killing the frozen client seemed to do the trick.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service              New Rate! $9.95/Month 50GB