Re: Oracle Locking Up

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:27:13 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3EAF63E5.CE227221_at_exxesolutions.com...
> The problem is sporadic. When it locks up Oracle can be shut down with
another SQL*Plus session / as sysdba
> and shutdown immediate. Then it may happen again hours later. Same goes
for rebooting the machine. It will
> happen again but hours later.
>
> And what is strange is that it never seems to interfere with a SQL
statement that is executing. The statement
> will finish, commit but never return to the SQL> prompt.

You don't quote OS (you naughty man :( ), But I too would suspect network setup. Specifically I wonder if it is a machine where a dial-up/broadband connection to the net has been started and or stopped whilst the Oracle DB is running - especially if it is some variety of Windows.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA