Re: Are Oracle GUIs causing a decline in DBA salaries?

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:46:36 GMT

john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us said...
> Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote:
>
> >forbrich_at_telusplanet.net said...
> >> Why of course ... grab the mouse, cover your eyes, point and click. What could be easier? Mind you, it's insane
> >> but who said anything about needing to do real DBA work?

<snip>

> >I'm sorry, but I must be missing something here. Why are GUI users
> >equated with unskilled, rank amateurs? Why is something that makes my
> >job easier a bad thing? And what's wrong with providing tools to assist
> >those who ain't an old goat like me (eg, newbie DBAs)?

<snip>

> >Let the flames begin!
>
> Flame one ( actually not):
>
> Having 1 less skill ( the knowledge of command-line interfaces) does make one less skilled..
> As to how important this lack is, it depends on whether there will ALWAYS be a GUI interface available when you need to fix a
> hosed Oracle installation....The command line will be there..( unless the OS is gone)
>
> It is a tool to assist and most tasks ( but not all, especially if the database has crashed and needs detailed and specific
> recovery techniques ) can be accomplished thru a GUI,but ONLY knowing the GUI is a problem....
>
> Know all you can...Too much knowledge is an oxymoron....

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

That was one of the nicest flames I've ever received!

And yes, you are right ... the GUI is not always available. But way back in ancient history I faced the same problem when I made a bunch of command aliases in VMS (if you've ever heard of that o/s). Whenever I walked over to another user's desk (mostly non-GUI terminals then) and tried to help them, I lost contact with all my carefully designed aliases. So even in a command-line only mode, you can set yourself up for frustration when you step outside your own environment.

And of course, you gave the solution to GUI and non-GUI arguments ... know both.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA