Re: How to change size and number of archive log files?

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:58:15 +0200

Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> schreef in berichtnieuws fouiav89mjvfrqfuoddvc85aqrkilci77c_at_4ax.com...
| On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:40:54 +0200, Sybrand Bakker
| <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> wrote:
|
| >On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:12:03 GMT, Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca>
| >wrote:
| >
| >>How do you to change size and number of archive log files?
| >>I tried to change MAXLOGHISTORY but it didn't work.
| >>
| >>Thanks
| >>

| >alter database add logfile group
| >alter database drop logfile group.
| >

| I was referring to archive log creates by the ARCH process, not the
| redo log files created by LGWR.
| Sorry for any confusion caused.

You can't change the size of an archived redo log file. It are just files on the operating system, no longer part of the database. You need them to recover a database restored from a backup. Use OS commands to see size and to remove them. It depends on your backup and restore strategy how long you should keep the files on disk. The maxloghistory setting only sets how many redolog switches are recorded in the controlfile; query view v$log_history to see this info.

No offense but because you ask the question I wonder if you are familiar enough with the principles of backup and recovery of a database in archivelog mode. If so I surely would recommend looking around for some good papers about this. Received on Fri Apr 25 2003 - 14:58:15 CDT