Re: How to change size and number of archive log files?

From: Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:01:22 GMT

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:58:15 +0200, "Anton Buijs" <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote:

>Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> schreef in berichtnieuws
>fouiav89mjvfrqfuoddvc85aqrkilci77c_at_4ax.com...
>| On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:40:54 +0200, Sybrand Bakker
>| <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> wrote:

>| >alter database add logfile group
>| >alter database drop logfile group.
>| >

>| I was referring to archive log creates by the ARCH process, not the
>| redo log files created by LGWR.
>| Sorry for any confusion caused.
>|

>You can't change the size of an archived redo log file.
>It are just files on the operating system, no longer part of the database.
>You need them to recover a database restored from a backup.
>Use OS commands to see size and to remove them. It depends on your backup
>and restore strategy how long you should keep the files on disk.
>The maxloghistory setting only sets how many redolog switches are recorded
>in the controlfile; query view v$log_history to see this info.

From the manual I found that the definition of MAXLOGHISTORY:

MAXLOGHISTORY Clause
This parameter is useful only if you are using Oracle in ARCHIVELOG mode with Real Application Clusters. Specify the maximum number of archived redo log files for automatic media recovery Real Application Clusters. Oracle uses this value to determine how much space in the control file to allocate for the names of archived redo log files. The minimum value is 0. The default value is a multiple of the MAXINSTANCES value and depends on your operating system. The maximum value is limited only by the maximum size of the control file.

MAXLOGFILES Clause
Specify the maximum number of redo log file groups that can ever be created for the database. Oracle uses this value to determine how much space in the control file to allocate for the names of redo log files. The default, minimum, and maximum values depend on your operating system.

It seems that MAXLOGFILES sets the number of logswitches and redo log groups to facilitate Oracle switching from one log group to another. Archive log files are totally different. It seems that MAXLOGHISTORY controls the number of archive files.

I am not trying to change the size of existing archive log files. In my case, Oracle creates archive files that are about 10M in size. My question is how to change this default size, so that for example, Oracle will create 20M archive log file, instead of 10M?