Re: configuring a new database

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2003 07:59:52 -0700

Comments embedded.

i_rahim_at_hotmail.com (Imran Rahim) wrote in message news:<e7519cfe.0304091401.d754044_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have just installed a new Oracle 8.1.7 database on Linux and am
> having a few connection problems. Can anyone explain to me what the
> relationship should be between:
> a) the name(and the case used i.e. upper or lower) given to the
> database at creation time
> b) the entry in the listener file
> c) the ORACLE_SID setting when you set the environment on your machine
> before also setting ORACLE_HOME and invoking sqlplus
>
> its odd - I have v$parameter saying my database is called mig001, yest
> my listener states it as MIG001.world

That is incorrect. The Listener doesn't set aliases, your TNSNAMES.ORA file does, and that's precisely what you have ... an alias of MIG001.world for your mig001 database. If you'll check your TNSNAMES.ORA file (at $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin) you'll see that the alias (the NAME of the TNSNAMES.ORA entry) is MIG001 and the SID or SERVICE_NAME is mig001. The SQLNET.ora file is appending the .world to your TNS aliases by having the following line present:

NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = world

Either way, this is a TNS issue, not a database naming issue. Your database has one name, mig001. Yes, you named the alias the same as the database name, however the Net8 Assistant writes the alias in the TNSNAMES.ORA file in uppercase. However you want to alias it in the TNSNAMES.ORA file is up to you.

> if I set ORACLE_SID = MIG001 then I cant log in , but if I set it to
> mig001 then I can.

Again, MIG001 is your TNSNAMES.ORA alias; mig001 is the actual database name.

> I just need to have a checklist of things to go through i.e. what case
> to use, where it is relevant and where it isnt; what Oracle looks at
> when starting up, whjat it refers to when you set ORACLE_SID etc
>
> any help much appreciated

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Apr 21 2003 - 09:59:52 CDT