configuring a new database

From: Imran Rahim <i_rahim_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Apr 2003 15:01:22 -0700

I have just installed a new Oracle 8.1.7 database on Linux and am having a few connection problems. Can anyone explain to me what the relationship should be between:
a) the name(and the case used i.e. upper or lower) given to the database at creation time
b) the entry in the listener file
c) the ORACLE_SID setting when you set the environment on your machine before also setting ORACLE_HOME and invoking sqlplus

its odd - I have v$parameter saying my database is called mig001, yest my listener states it as MIG001.world

if I set ORACLE_SID = MIG001 then I cant log in , but if I set it to mig001 then I can.

I just need to have a checklist of things to go through i.e. what case to use, where it is relevant and where it isnt; what Oracle looks at when starting up, whjat it refers to when you set ORACLE_SID etc

any help much appreciated Received on Wed Apr 09 2003 - 17:01:22 CDT