A question for anyone using BMC's SQL-Backtrack

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 14:23:01 -0500

We (our client) is implementing BMC's SQL-Backtrack as a corporate solution for backup and recovery of Oracle databases. In setting this up, one of the options is to "enable short begin/end backup window" and is eplained as

" puts the tablespace in online-backup mode just long enough to back up the first block of the datafile. This process leads to a decrease in the number of archive log files generated during the backup operation. "

On the surface, this sounds like a good thing, but I'm wondering just how safe it is. If it is perfectly safe, why wouldn't they just *do* it, rather than giving an option. On the other hand, if it is *not* perfectly safe, why would it *even be* offered as an option?

Thoughts? Opinions? Received on Fri Apr 18 2003 - 14:23:01 CDT