Re: A question for anyone using BMC's SQL-Backtrack

From: Kevin Brand <unixoracle_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 05:23:51 GMT

Ed,

Sounds like some sales rep at BMC has done his/her job very well. A long time ago, I was asked to review BMC Patrol, which was in the early stages of development. After a short period, my diagnosis was set and it wasn't good. It's like the tool was built with the fancy GUI as the primary concern. While the product has improved, it still looks like GUI bloat to me.

I could have made a bunch of cash if I had known the power of BMC's sales force.

That said, I would make sure you keep secondary backups, just for grins :)

I agree, the option sounds like trouble. Based on the product name and the info you mentioned, I'm inclined to guess that it is more of a recovery solution than a backup solution. Beware, "Highly Configurable" sometimes means "Use our framework to build your own".

Good luck,

-Kevin