Would you recommend having multiple instances on the same box?

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:15:25 +0100

Hi John,

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'real world'. I work in a software house and I have one 'production' database to take care of. All our source code is stored there, so it is considered to be very important and lives on its own server.

At the same time, on another server, I have about 10 instances each with between 5 and 20 different schemas. These are used for testing, and tracking down customer faults etc. Some of these get backud up, other dont. They all run quite happily alongside each other. On the previous server, I had about 30 (!!!) instances running as above. I've managed to get rid of a few since then though.

So yes, it can be done.

I've never seen any advice from Oracle about not doing it though - so can't help there.

Regards,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator