Re: Would you recommend having multiple instances on the same box?

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:25:37 -0500

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:14:19 +0100, "John Guthrie" <john_at_guthrie.co.za> wrote:

>I know it is possible to have multiple instances running on the same box
>but:
>
>Can someone tell me if their is an official line that says Oracle does NOT
>recommend running multiple instances on the same box.
>
>AND
>
>Can someone tell me if running multiple instances on the same box is ever
>used in 'the real world'?
>
>The reason for the questions above is that we have made a request to run 2
>instances on the same box and this request was denied saying that Oracle do
>not recommend running more than 1 instance on the same box and that this is
>not done in 'the real world'. (the box which we will be using is more than
>capable of handling 2 instances - spec in this case is not the issue.)

As others have already indicated, it is not at all uncommon to run multiple instances on the same box. Personally, I'd be curious to see the Oracle documentation that says it is not recommended. If I were in your position, I'd be asking the person who made that assertion to supply the reference. Received on Thu Apr 17 2003 - 08:25:37 CDT