Re: Not meant to be flame bait, but... X is not Needed for running (is needed for installing) Oracle9iAS 9.0.3

From: JustAnotherDBA <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:39:13 -0500

Here is an OTN URL describing running Oracle9iAS 9.0.3 WITHOUT X .... http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/ias/doc_library/903doc_otn/sol.903/relno tes/config.htm#1032553 (Then search for string=The J2SE Version 1.4 software does not require the X Server

Yep. You do need a place to display to... for ANY Oracle install these days (X server somewhere in your network or on the current machine).

But, after the install, as others have said, X is not needed for a database server.

And, even after install, as others have said, X IS needed for the application server ---- EXCEPT in the specific case I was trying to explain.

If you are NOT running Forms server and install Oracle9iAS 9.0.3 AND upgrade Jave to 1.4 , then having an X to display to is NOT needed. We have been running this way in production mode since January 2003 with no problems.