Re: Granting table privileges

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Apr 2003 00:41:23 GMT

Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote:
> I completed my tests today. Same tests, the only difference being I used
> two volumes that were not striped. With both index and table on the same
> volume to insert 500k rows it consistently took twice as much time as
> when the table and index were physically separated. I stand by the
> conventional wisdom that says separating tables from their indexes yields
> a measurable performance increase.
>
> My average time to insert with both on the same disk was 1:14. With the
> segments separated it was 2:30.

But you artificially idled one of the disk drives. I think anyone would support separating tables from indices if doing so would magically double the number of disks you have! To get a fair test, you need to compare:

"Table on one volume, Index on the other"

                    versus

"Half of Table on each volume, half of Index on each volume"

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service              New Rate! $9.95/Month 50GB