Re: Upgrade from 8.0.5 to 9iR2 on AIX 4.3.3

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Apr 2003 07:47:58 -0700

"Roger Jackson" <rjackson1_at_hotkey.net.au> wrote in message news:<3e9d024d_1_at_news.iprimus.com.au>...
> Rauf,
>
> There should be no problems having seperate Oracle homes for both 8.0.5 and
> 9.2.0 on the same server.
>
> We currently have 8.0.6 and 9.2.0 on the same server running AIX 4.3.3
> Maintenance Level 10 with all Oracle recommended patches for Oracle 9i plus
> we have the latest certified ANSI 'C' and 'Microfocus' cobol compilers
> installed. We have had no problems compiling Pro*C or Pro*Cobol under
> Oracle 8.0.6 or Oracle 9.2.0.
>
> The only problem we encountered was with 'oraenv' after the upgrade.
> Refer to this note on Metalink.
> http://support.oracle.com.sg/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_dat
> abase_id=NOT&p_id=1014906.102
> This problem has been outstanding for quite sometime and it still isn't
> fixed in Oracle 9.2.0.3
>
> By the way AIX 4.3.3 will be desupported this year.
> If you move to AIX 5.1 or AIX 5.2 (5L) you will have to reinstall Oracle
> 9.2.0.3 for AIX 5L you cannot use Oracle 9.2.0.3 for AIX 4.3.3.
>
> HTH
>
> Roger.

Thanks Roger. Excellent info... this is exactly what I was looking for. BTW.. Customer is moving upto ML 11. Since this is a customer's server, I can only make recommendation to them about moving upto 5L... which I already have so it is upto them to decide what they want to do in the future.

I have to do this upgrade in couple of weeks. I will post my results here.

Howard... My comment about "Direct upgrade.." was directed more towards Roger as I thought he may not have read last part of my original post.

Lowell... Yes, OS is 64 bit.

Thanks for all your replies.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Apr 16 2003 - 09:47:58 CDT