An Oracle Auto Generated Id Issue

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:47:14 +0100

Hi Ramon,

glad you got it sorted out.

I'm unable to comment on the fact that Access and/or SQLServer databases work fine without haveing a value supplied for 'mandatory' columns. This implies that either the driver between VBA and the database is broken, or, the database has no way to inform the driver (and so the application) that certain columns are mandatory.

I've certainly always had to inform the driver system (BDE or whatever in Delphi/BCB) that some fields were indeed mandatory in the database, but not in the application. I presume that the system still works fine on these other databases with the setting turned on for Oracle ? If so, you shouldn't have a problem.

Please baer in mind that Access is a desktop database, rather than a proper client server database - and I'm not too sure about SQLServer - it claims to be Client Server but people keep finding things that don't work - I cannot comment personally as we only use it here for ourt help desk system, and that is not very good :o)

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator