Re: An Oracle Auto Generated Id Issue

From: ryan <ramon_at_caribsurf.com>
Date: 16 Apr 2003 05:40:25 -0700

Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote in message news:<E2F6A70FE45242488C865C3BC1245DA7038D9789_at_lnewton.leeds.lfs.co.uk>...
> Morning Ramon,
>
> I'm not a VB or VBA developer but I do use Delphi and C++ Builder with
> varying degrees of success and expertise, so :
>
> if I'm doing an app and the table in the database is defined as being
> NOT NULL then my app will barf if I do not fill in a value for that
> field prior to me posting the data to the database. This is a bleeding
> pain in the bum if I have triggers which fill in the columns for me.
> Delphi and C++B database components (TQuery) have a Fields property
> where I can override the database details with mu own, so I can tell the
> app that the PK columns are actually not required regardless of what the
> database tells it. This way, I can now post nulls in these columns and
> have my triggers fill in the blanks.
>
> I would hope that VB/VBA has a similar property which allows you to
> specify that a field/column is not required by the app regardless of
> whether it is required by the database.
>

> HTH
>
> Cheers,
> Norm.
>

> -------------------------------------
> Norman Dunbar
> Database/Unix administrator
> Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
> mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
> Tel: 0113 289 6265
> Fax: 0113 289 3146

Hi Norm and greetings to the others who responded

Let me say that yes, the component that I am using to manipulate the data from the Oracle database does allow me to specify that the primary key is not required and I had to use that property from the time I was getting the problem.

However as I did not have to do when connecting to a SQL Server or Access database I was wondering if there was some other feature somewhere that I was unaware of that would allow me to use the component in the same manner for all database backends.

Once again thanks to all that responded. I will continue to use this non-required feature of the component until I see a better solution. I am hoping there is.

Ryan
fe Received on Wed Apr 16 2003 - 07:40:25 CDT