Re: Materialized View Log - ??

From: Timothy Madsen <timothy_madsen_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:42:28 -0400

Hello,
Well - that is pretty much why I am asking... :)

I have done rather extensive testing and have implemented a solution to a particular problem which required a trigger to be operating on the COMMIT operation. The triggers on the MV tables are now firing when the COMMIT occurs. I specifically did not execute any creation script for the MV log - and I have checked with both Quest Schema Manager and Quest SQL Navigator to see if the MV logs were somehow created automagically for me - behind the scenes - I do not see them.

So, I am pretty confident (although as always - I could be wrong) that: 1) My triggers on my MV tables are firing during the COMMIT and 2) I have no materialized log.

Note that I started using these MV from an example from Thomas Kyte (asktom.oracle.com) which did not include the creation of a materialized log.

So, I was wondering of what purpose the MV logs are and under what circumstances one is required to use them?

Thanks.
Tim.