SQLPlus formatting question

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:02:15 -0500

Platform: Oracle 8.1.7

I have a query that typically returns less than 5 rows. I'd like to force a line break after every column, so that the data is listed like this:

Col1: value
Col2: value
etc.

so put together a query like this:

set echo off
set heading off

column empno		newline
column lastname        newline
column firstname         newline

select

'empno: ' || empno,
'lastname: ' || lastname,
'firstname: ' || firstname,

etc.

but I find that I get a line feed after some columns, and not after others. Is there some other mechanism at work here that I'm overlooking -- something else that effects line wrapping? Linewidth is at its default value. Received on Tue Apr 15 2003 - 17:02:15 CDT