Re: Oracle 9i Linux and raw devices

From: Andreas <ast1200_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:51:32 -0600

2^32 = 4294967296 (4GB), but isn't the point. I know that maximum size of file on ext2 & ext3 file system is limited to 2GB (I think it can be even increased to bigger amount by making changes in kernel source and recompiling). RAW device isn't using ext2, ext3 or other Linux supported file systems, each raw device is handled by Oracle as a single data file.

Referring to Oracle document:
"Oracle9iR2 on Linux: Performance,Reliability and Manageability Enhancements on Red Hat LinuxAdvanced Server 2.1"

>64-bit File I/O
>Linux supports 64-bit file I/O even on 32-bit platforms like Intel
>Pentiumbased
>servers. Oracle9iR2 supports 64-bit file offsets internally, hence >there
>are no 2GB or 4GB limitations on data, log and control files. The
>limits on
>number of files per database (64K), number of blocks per file (4
>million), and
>maximum block size (16KB) are common to other Oracle platforms. Based >on
>these limits, the maximum size for a database file is 64GB, and the
>maximum
>database size with 16KB blocks is 4 petabytes.

is the raw device limit 4 PB?