Re: Oracle 9i Linux and raw devices

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 00:11:12 GMT

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:11:08 -0600, Andreas wrote:

> Are you sure ?
> Currently Linux support up to 256 (255?) raw devices/system. If the limit
> would be 2GB/raw dev, it would create 512GB limit for entire database.

Nope. This is incorrect. Here is an excerpt from the "Database limits" section in the "Reference" manual for 9.2:

Database files

Maximum per tablespace

Operating system dependent; usually 1022

Maximum per database

65533

> If you are sure, please let me know where I can find reference for it.
> I'm sure it's more then 2GB (If I'm wrong please give me a link to a ref.
> doc.), but what is the limit on Linux IA32? I was no able to find any specs in
> available for me docs.
>
> Thanks for respond,
> -AST
>

> Mladen Gogala wrote:

>> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 10:55:01 -0600, Andreas wrote:
>>

>>>What is maximum size of datafile created on raw device (Linux IA32)?
>>>
>>>-AST
>>

>> 2GB.

Here is the information from the "Database Limits" section in the 9.2 reference book:

Database file size

Maximum

Operating system dependent. Limited by maximum operating system file size; typically 2**22 or 4M blocks

You could also look into the Note:107201.1 on the metablink.

Basically, lseek and ftell (the OS routines for postioning within files) accept 64 bit arguments on 64-bit environments and 32 bit arguments on 32-bit systems. The 1st bit is the sign and signfies the direction of the movement (fwd/bckwd). The 32bit routines can be used to move within 2GB files, not larger. Unless you have things like ftell64 or lseek64 (64 bit env.), you are stuck with the 2GB limit. I also have a bad experience with Slowaris 7 which claimed to be full 64 bits environment, but all my files over 2GB ended up being corrupted. The version was 8.0.5/6.

--
Mladen Gogala

Light travels faster than sound.
That is why some people appear bright