Re: [ANNOUNCE] Senora: a replacement for sqlplus

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:57:54 GMT

fvanbortel_at_netscape.net said...
> Hans Forbrich wrote:
> >>Cool! And in English, we've adopted a few German words ... like the
> >>Southern California fast-food chain, der Wienerschnitzel ... they need a
> >>very long building to display their name. Why do Germans feel compelled
> >>to string a dozen words together into one word? <vbg> Hopefully, my
> >

> > Because it's much simpler.
> >
> > You take the paragraph that describes an object, trim white space and
> > capitalize. Then you don't need to spend any time teaching what the new
> > thing is - it basically comes with a built-in definition & possibly even a
> > built-in manual.
> >
> > One negative side effect ... we (of German background) do tend to be verbose
> > and go on and on and .......
> >

> Patentzuckerluxusbonbonmitedelholzhandgriffe...
> Hauptstaatseisenbahnknotenpunkthinundherschieber...
> Grossrechner, schnittstelle, Datenverarbeitungsanlage

Wow! Exactly! Can you just see the SELECT statement:

select Patentzuckerluxusbonbonmitedelholzhandgriffe from Hauptstaatseisenbahnknotenpunkthinundherschieber where Grossrechner = Datenverarbeitungsanlage;

Not knowing multi-syllabic German, I'm not sure what I just selected! German newspapers must love justifying lines with words like those. :)

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA