Re: Red Hat 9 and Oracle 9.2 Warning.

From: haud howdy <davehau-no-spam-123_at_no-spam.netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:05:37 -0700

"Mladen Gogala" <mgogala_at_adelphia.net> wrote in message news:pan.2003.04.08.10.26.51.315067_at_adelphia.net...
> Warning...Warning..Warning
>
> After quite an exciting night, I came to the conclusion that
> Oracle 9.2 cannot be safely installed on RH 9.
> Here is what happened:
> 1) JRE from CD wouldn't work. That can be solved by setting:
> export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
> and disable floating stack threading as available in the newer kernels.
> 2) When trying to link oracle, I got a ton of undefined symbols, mostly
> starting with __ctype, which I believe to be part of the old glibc
> and mssing from the old glibc.
> 3) I installed the libc from my RH 8.0 CD but my X11 would no
> longer work. At the end, I loaded RH 8.0 back and decided to wait
> for the proper oracle support.
>
> Bottom line: Red Hat broke the binary compatibility (that was the
> reason for the new major release number and not RH 8.1 or alike) and
> Oracle no longer works. As the two companys are working together, it
> is just a matter of few monts until oracle releases patches that will
> enable it to work with RH 9. Until then , steer clear of Red Hat .

I'm not sure if Oracle will release patches to support RH 9. Oracle 9.2 is only certified and supported on the RH Advanced Server (which uses kernel 2.4.9, glibc 2.2.4 if I'm not mistaken). They're not obligated to support desktop versions of RH like RH9, and really, it's not very feasible for them to do so because the desktop versions have a much shorter release cycle than the Advanced Server (12-18 months). The Oracle porting team would be quite busy if they have to support every desktop version of RH.

Cheers,
Dave