Red Hat 9 and Oracle 9.2 Warning.

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 10:26:53 GMT

Warning...Warning..Warning

After quite an exciting night, I came to the conclusion that Oracle 9.2 cannot be safely installed on RH 9. Here is what happened:
1) JRE from CD wouldn't work. That can be solved by setting:

    export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
   and disable floating stack threading as available in the newer kernels. 2) When trying to link oracle, I got a ton of undefined symbols, mostly

   starting with __ctype, which I believe to be part of the old glibc    and mssing from the old glibc.
3) I installed the libc from my RH 8.0 CD but my X11 would no

   longer work. At the end, I loaded RH 8.0 back and decided to wait    for the proper oracle support.

Bottom line: Red Hat broke the binary compatibility (that was the reason for the new major release number and not RH 8.1 or alike) and Oracle no longer works. As the two companys are working together, it is just a matter of few monts until oracle releases patches that will enable it to work with RH 9. Until then , steer clear of Red Hat 9.

--
Mladen Gogala

Light travels faster than sound.
That is why some people appear bright