Re: java stored procedures fast, but slow when called as SQL function

From: Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 19:15:05 GMT

pete_at_mynix.org wrote:

> martin.chadderton_at_mwhglobal.com (Martin Chadderton) writes:
>
> > > I was hoping to finally switch 100% to Java ISO PL/SQL, but this seems
> > > to be impossible still :(
> >

> > Doesn't surprise me this, it's due to the SQL-oriented nature of what
> > the JSP is trying to do. There's no better / more efficient language
> > for handling SQL than PL/SQL.
>
> What a pity that after 3 years (or more?) Oracle still didn't manage
> to get Java on par with PL/SQL w.r.t. integration with SQL. I cannot
> see a fundamental reason why it is not possible (especially with SQLJ
> and oracles propriatary extentions anything PL/SQL can should be
> possible in Java as well.
>
> If Oracle wanted they could make Java just as suitable and efficient
> as PL/SQL.

This line of reasoning seems counterintuitive to me. It sounds like your saying anything Oracle can do with their proprietary tightly bound language should be achievable in a standardized third party language that has a long history of performance issues. Can you provide some concrete rationale for this position?

Richard Received on Tue Apr 08 2003 - 14:15:05 CDT