Re: Reorganizing the DB.. the tricky way

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 23:06:59 +0200

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote:

>Note that you can *not* move tables online (not with the alter table command
>anyway). The only exception to this and why the syntax is there is to cater
>for Index Organised tables which are effectively "rebuilt" with the alter
>table online command.

I think that I confused moving tables with rebuilding indexes. Indexes can be rebuilt online.

>> And 2: How can I avoid queries to fail due to indexes being in the
>> UNUSUABLE state until the table is completely moved and the index is
>> rebuilt?
>>

>Generally, queries won't fail, they'll just run like a three legged dog.

Hm. I remember a collegue who called me because something was failing exactly due to an index being rebuilt. Perhaps he was using the name of the index explicitly in some manner.

>If availability is a vitally important consideration and a reorg is a must,
>then check out the dbms_redefinition package which does allow you to move
>and reorg tables without impacting availability. It's a bit cumbersome but
>it might meet your needs.

dbms_redefinition package? That is new to me! I will go after that.

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Mon Apr 07 2003 - 16:06:59 CDT