Table and Field Name Capitalization

From: Scott Krull <skrull_at_unlnotes.unl.edu>
Date: 7 Apr 2003 14:13:30 -0700

Hello,

We're working on migrating a database from SQL Server 2000 to Oracle 9i, and are having a problem with Oracle automatically convering field and table names to all upper-case letters.

Specifically, this problem occurs when we access the Oracle database with ASP, then format the results using XML/XSL. The problem is that XML looks for the field names we used in SQL Server (eg, LoginName) but finds only all-uppercase versions (LOGINNAME).

There are two solutions that I have found thus far: -Covert all XML tags to all uppercase. I would prefer to stay away from this, simply due to the amount of conversion necessary. -Use quotes around table and field names when creating tables in Oracle. However, it seems that I then need to use quotes every time I reference the table. In other words, if I use the following command:

CREATE TABLE "TSystemAccount"
(

"Pkey" INT PRIMARY KEY,
"LoginName" VARCHAR2(8),
"Passwd" VARCHAR2(8)

);

Then I need to put quotes around the field and table names every time I query them. This would require a lot of quote escaping in the ASP -- again, something I would prefer to avoid because of the amount of conversion required.

Is there another solution possible? Ideally, I would like a way to "turn off" Oracle and/or ODBC's automatic capitalization so that it would simply accept the capitalization given (like SQL Server apparently does). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott Received on Mon Apr 07 2003 - 16:13:30 CDT