Re: 8.1.7 Enterprise memory limit?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 16:25:53 GMT

I feel there should be no major issues with your proposed configuration.

For you evening reading, Oracle limits are listed in the Reference manual that is available either with the software or on OTN. A direct pointer for this version is
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76961/ch4.htm#4762

In my discussions about the memory allocation to Oracle, the general concensus is to restrict the SGA to between 30 and 55% of the total physical memory - to avoid paging which makes the database rediculously slow - and to try to size the total memory to be roughly 20% more than required by the SGA, the OS and all running applications together.

A separate discussion could be around avoiding non-database applications on the database machine, including the client applications that interact with the database.

/Hans Received on Mon Apr 07 2003 - 11:25:53 CDT