Re: 8.1.7 Enterprise memory limit?

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Apr 2003 23:52:02 -0700

"Axel Stahl" <stahl_at_pdg-online.de> wrote in message news:<3e9129ca$1_at_news.celox.de>...
> Hello,
>
> sorry if this was posted before, but I have not
> seen any thread here, regarding this subject,
> so here is my question:
>
> I'd like to set up a Windows 2000 (Standard) Server
> with 4 GB of total memory.
> Are there any limitations for Oracle 8.1.7 Enterprise
> regarding the use of up to 4 GB memory (or
> at least 4 GB subtracting the memory needs
> of other apps).
> I heard soemthing about 2 GB memory (not file size)
> limits, others say there is no limitations
>
> Thank you and sorry if this was posted here before.
>
> Axel

if you wish to deploy Oracle 8.1.7 on win32 with larger than a 1.8 GB memory footprint, please use the Advanced Server edition of MS Windows 2000 Server.
This will allow an SGA of up to 3 GB (nominal) plus a large amount assigned to indirect db_block_buffers (e.g. 4 GB) of memory above 4 GB physical memory.

I would highly recommend reading the docs on Metalink, and possibly the text by Sale et al - oracle tips and tricks on win32, oracle press.

if you want a 3 GB SGA (or /PAE) in 9i - skip 9.0.1 - go straight to 9.2.

if you want to use indirect_block_buffers (/PAE) - you are stuck with a single block size - quite a tradeoff.

think about the possibility of properly equipping the server with a real storage system instead of trying to accomplish everything in memory.

If you are deploying on Dell hardware - the price of a full (14 drives x 36 GB 10,000 rpm - split backplane) storage cabinet is less than 2/3rd the list price of a per cpu oracle server license (std ed).

it is now no longer reported that the difference between memory access and disk access is several order of magnitudes different - last I heard in presentations - the number was about 40 (or was it 42?).

As Gaja (and Kirti) mentioned in the oracle press performance tuning 101 - if you don't access the block in a relatively large amount of time (15 to 30 minutes) - why bother caching it? keeping track of all of those blocks in memory is not without cost and overhead.

i/o channels and drives.
segregation.
striping.
if you have enough drives - you can implement both OFA and SAME.

Paul Received on Tue Apr 08 2003 - 01:52:02 CDT