Re: Oracle: Naked King in database land?

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 05 Apr 2003 01:15:39 GMT

"Anne" <anne_at_thereistoomuchspam.com> wrote:

> The problems below occur only when using tables larger than
> about 250 000 records, but on amounts below that I would really consider
> using MS-Access or something the like (don't start on transactions,
> multi-user, security etc., to me that's the vi freak - much used argument
> for little used features - point of view)

You are doomed. Anyone who rejects "freak" stuff like transactions, multi-user concurrency, and security, out of hand is blatantly unqualified to be dealling with Oracle.

> Then why, you may ask, am I still using Oracle?
> * my boss tells me to and our customers believe they will have a very
> robust and stable database solution

Not if you make this solution. The benefits of using Oracle don't magically appear just because one is using Oracle. If one wants to use Oracle as if it were MySQL, one should just use MySQL.

> * after spending a huge amount of time on building and tuning the
> database, I must admit, the lookup-queries are quite fast
> * Oracle being the largest and best known database software, I am
> probably too much of a newbee and after some more experience I hope to
> find the yet undiscovered but must-be-there goodies of the software

So long as you are unwilling to entertain the value of "freak" stuff, you will not find the goodies.

> Are you, as an Oracle user, dba or developer constantly solving such
> problems as I mentioned above or are you,

The only overlap is in poor optimizer choices. Other than that, the problems I have to solve are different than the ones you list.

> not like me, able to spend your
> time on creating new queries, views and reports, making easy backups and
> only very occasional but successfull restores, easily importing and
> exporting data to all kinds of sources, integrating the software in all
> sorts of environments and doing more such productive work as the sales
> department has promised when the database was sold to you? Or is Oracle,
> as I am starting to suspect, the Naked King in database land?

Oracle is a poor choice for any company not willing to make a large investment in it. That includes hiring people well-trained and/or knowledgible in Oracle. It's like buying a corporate jet but not getting a pilot, assuming anyone who can ride a bicycle can fly the jet.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service              New Rate! $9.95/Month 50GB