Re: safe mode workaround

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 06:27:46 +1000

Delete the service associated with the database/instance, and re-create it. Clearly, something has been munged since the service was first created.

The command-line tool to delete and re-create such services is 'oradim'.

At a command prompt, do oradim /? to see the complete syntax. But the eseential commands are going to be along the lines of...

oradim -DELETE -SERVICE xxxx (where xxxx is the actual service name)

and

oradim -NEW -SID xxxx -PFILE <location of init.ora> -STARTMODE auto

Read the syntax carefully before you start, because the above is done from memory and is missing bits, plus the order of the switches can be important.

The SYSTEM tablespace, by the way, must never be allowed to run out of space, and 98% is cutting it fine. Switch on autoextend for it as a matter of urgency. That's an 'alter database datafile 'c:\blah\blah\system01.dbf' autoextend on'. Normally, I wouldn't recommend autoextend for ordinary datafiles, but system isn't ordinary, and isn't going to need to extend much anyway (I hope -there's not supposed to be anything in there that isn't data dictionary stuff, and the dictionary doesn't tend to grow like crazy, on the whole).

Regards