Re: Oracle: Naked King in database land?

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 09:26:30 -0800

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:Xns9353C7F634FE9Tokenthis_at_210.49.20.254...
> Have you ever used a Unix-based IDE? Or you just venting
> your total ignorance? Do you realize the gui-based IDE
> appeared in Unix LONG before it ever existed in Windoze?

XWindow based? Sure. But you have to realize that it was the market that created by MSWindows that sparkled real tools vendors competition and innovation.

> > changing with [portable] Java Swing based tools, like JBuilder.
>
> You gotta be joking. Have you ever worked with JDeveloper?

FYI Oracle licenced JBuilder code initially -- smart move, as they didn't have established presence in the tools business. If you asking me if JDeveloper is better than JBullder today (their codebases grow apart to the point where JDeveloper 5.0 was a complete, all java rewrite), then, I don't know. I would suspect however, that Borland doesn't make such an assh**e moves like suddenly dropping lightweight Tomkat servlet engine and starting bundling the tool with this Application Server monster.

> Hang on a tick there: from your dislike of Unix and vi
> you jump to "Oracle not being strong on gui"?
> Hehehe! Right............

Just compare TOAD, SQLNav to OEM. Then, take Oracle Forms. Do you need any more examples? Received on Fri Apr 04 2003 - 11:26:30 CST