Re: Oracle database status web page

From: John Russell <netnews5_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 04:15:37 GMT

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 08:50:51 -0600, Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote:

>On 1 Apr 2003 14:00:21 -0800, nilanjan_sarkar_at_hotmail.com (nilanjan)
>wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am looking for some ideas to create a web page that will show me the
>>database status for a number of ORacle databases.
>>- I want this to be very simple to implement (I am not a web
>>programmmer but know very little java to be dangerous )
>>- I do not want to use any other fancy software. The page will be
>>added to a generic company intranet (simple jsp or javascript or asp
>>should be fine but no other tools)
>>- I do not want to run this on an Oracle database itself, should be
>>running from webserver and run for example tnsping or such.
>>
>>Any pointers ??
>
>Given the constraints you have, I think Gabrial has given you about
>the best you can hope for. You keep harping about just doing a
>tnsping,

If I was doing something like this where the originating machine didn't have any database software, I might make a PL/SQL procedure in the real database to generate a real status page (database is up, here's how much free space, etc.), hook up the status page to a DAD, and then just screen-scrape it from the other web server.

That is, make a call to
http://real-database-blah-blah/pls/myschema/myschema.status_page from a Perl CGI script (using the LWP package) or a servlet, read the contents of the page, and then just print the result as if it came directly from my CGI or servlet.

John

--
Photo gallery: http://www.pbase.com/john_russell/