Re: Oracle database status web page

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 08:50:51 -0600

On 1 Apr 2003 14:00:21 -0800, nilanjan_sarkar_at_hotmail.com (nilanjan) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am looking for some ideas to create a web page that will show me the
>database status for a number of ORacle databases.
>- I want this to be very simple to implement (I am not a web
>programmmer but know very little java to be dangerous )
>- I do not want to use any other fancy software. The page will be
>added to a generic company intranet (simple jsp or javascript or asp
>should be fine but no other tools)
>- I do not want to run this on an Oracle database itself, should be
>running from webserver and run for example tnsping or such.
>
>Any pointers ??

Given the constraints you have, I think Gabrial has given you about the best you can hope for. You keep harping about just doing a tnsping, but you need to know that tnsping tells you *zip* about the status of the database. Doesn't even tell you if it is up or not. In fact -- as I recently demonstrated to myself -- you can get a successful tnsping against a database that doesn't even exist. All tnsping tells you is that the client and listener agree on where said database *should* be if it were there. It says the client was able to resolve a reference and contact a listener and the listener agreed that it was listening for connection requests for that database and if such a connection request were received (tnsping in not a connection request) the listener would attempt to service it. Received on Wed Apr 02 2003 - 08:50:51 CST