Re: Fad of the month Java data access question.

From: Phil Britton <nomail_at_nowhere.org>
Date: 01 Apr 2003 15:24:10 +0100

"Telemachus" <telemachus_at_ulysseswillreturn.net> writes:

> Just having a conference with our Java developers. Plenty of data access
> technologies being bandied around
>
> JDO,DAO,JDBC,EJB -

<snip>

JDO allows the developers to develop in a database independent way (cough, cough :-). Allows them not to have to worry about database mechanisms. Probably the easiest to use for developers who have no previous rdbms experience

DAO isn't this a a properietary MS Win32 database access method ? Pass me my bargepole :-)

JDBC pretty usable if the developers have previous exposure to ODBC or OCI. It can call stored procedures in Oracle. The developers have to think a lot about the database and about resources such a database connections and know SQL. There's a few of gotcha's involved

EJB there are two kinds of persistence in EJBs. Container managed persistence (CMP) and Bean managed persistence (BMP). In CMP the developers don't have to think about storing data from the EJBs (well, not much) in BMP they do and can use a technology like JDBC or JDO to store persistent data.

If you want the devlopers to worry about the JAVA and you to worry about the database use JDO. (Nothing to do with the fact that I used to work for a company that developed a JDO implementation)

cheers

Phil Received on Tue Apr 01 2003 - 08:24:10 CST