Re: SQLPlus seems to autocommit my transaction

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2003 22:36:50 +1000

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> writes:

> On 28 Mar 2003 08:35:05 -0800, w_keeling_at_yahoo.com (Will) wrote:
>
> >I have auto commit off in SQLPlus
> >
> >When I insert into a table and then quit SQLPlus without issuing a
> >'commit', SQLPlus seems to automatically commit the change. When I go
> >back into SQLPlus I see the change has been made.
> >
> >However, if I insert into the table, check I can see the inserted row
> >and then issue a 'rollback' immediately after, the change is rolled
> >back as I expect.
> >
> >Is SQLPlus supposed to commit on exit even with autocommit switched
> >off (I'm using Oracle 9.2.0.1.0)?
>

> Exactly, and moreover it is documented in the sql*plus manual, and it
> has been working that way for more than 15 years.

Huh? Are you sure? What is the point of auto commit if sqlplus commits on exit anyway? I thought if auto commit was turned off, nothing would cause a commit except an explicit commit statement. Certainly going to do a lookup of my SQLPlus documentation when I get back to work on Monday.

--
Tim Cross